Skip Nav Destination
How to Use the Site
Download our short guide that outlines the resources available on the MLA Handbook Plus site and provides details on how to access and use them.
Navigating the Handbook
Finding Citation Examples
You can filter search results to find hundreds of citation examples.
Check out the video below to learn how.
The following sections will be of special value to those new to MLA style and might be read before proceeding to use the rest of the online handbook as a reference:
- “Documenting Sources: An Overview” (4.0–4.16)
- “Introduction to the MLA Core Elements” (5.1–5.2)
- The What It Is and Where to Find It sections for each element in chapter 5, which explain the range of situations each element applies to and provide visual examples of where to find information in a variety of sources
- “The Three Most Common Types of Entries” (5.100–5.103), illustrating how to use the template to create works-cited-list entries
- “Supplemental Elements” (5.105–5.119)
- “In-Text Citations: An Overview” (6.1–6.2)
- “Bibliographic and Content Notes” (7.1–7.2)
For guidance about creating accounts, saving searches, and using other administrative site features, see the FAQ.